Monday, January 26, 2015

Considering Capellanus

After reading a bit of Capellanus’ The Art of Courtly Love, I’ll have to admit that I am most certainly intrigued…


There wasn’t too much of the text that lost my interest and I was pleasantly surprised to see just how many thought-provoking similarities there were between Capellanus’ definition of love and our modern understanding of the term. Going into the reading this week with the expectation of seeing many stark differences was a great outlook to have as it allowed me to take better notice of the similarities that I honestly wasn’t expecting to find. For instance, the notion that “the easy attainment of love makes it of little value [while] difficulty of attainment makes it prized,” (Capellanus) is clearly something that we still witness / value in our society today. Especially speaking as a female, there have been countless times throughout my life that the term “playing hard to get” has come up in some sort of context or another (and I say especially speaking as a female because – at least from my perspective – this term is usually reserved for / said in reference to a woman). The notion that a lover’s value (specifically a woman’s) increases alongside the level of difficulty it takes to win their affection, a notion that is still very much alive and well today, comes directly from the concept of courtly love.


Indeed looking back at the readings for this week it becomes clear that the ideals of the medieval period still play an incredibly integral role in how our modern society constructs and stereotypes gender roles. For example, the classic 21st century cliché of a “whipped man” and a “controlling wife” are again direct products of courtly love. The ideal male lover of the medieval age was expected to serve his lady who, as Dr. Thompson points out, was often depicted as “cold and cruel.” This was honestly the part of the reading that stuck out to me the most, as I wasn’t previously aware that our modern concept / stereotype of a subservient or “whipped” male – and by association the “controlling” female - was a product of courtly love (now I know who to blame).



However while I wasn’t expecting to notice so many similarities at the start of my reading this week, I’m certainly glad that I did. These similarities unexpectedly drove me deep into thought and I spent a much longer time than I ever originally intended considering the ways in which our society still reflects the remnants of medieval courtly love as opposed to all the ways in which the two are so starkly different. At first I thought that the differences would be more intriguing; that their examination and consideration would be the best way for me to begin to develop an understanding of courtly love. That clearly wasn’t the case. I actually found it much harder to connect with or relate to the differences. To my surprise it was the similarities between Capellanus’ medieval definition of love and my modern understanding of the term that provided the most useful for consideration.

2 comments:

  1. One of the important aspects to note is that not only is our idea of "romance/love" the same, it is also slightly different in the sense that this is the archaic use of "romance," i.e. "from the Roman language." This is for French courts, showing aristocratic ladies what to look for in a proper man and how to be a proper lady. And this also shows the men how to behave and how to win favor with the lady. Judging by the story we read this week, standing out her window playing her favorite song through a boombox is passé, but chopping a man's hand off and taking his golden glove is bang on!
    -Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you! When I first looked at Courtly Love I was like " these rules are crazy!" But this reading did capture my attention and interest. I wonder how many movies that I have seen that express some these certain rules. What makes me upset the most is that even though women wrote this where are their own aspect of how a women should love in comparison to a man? The women are seen as the "beloved" and the men are seen as the "lovers". I find this to be so unreal because today that would be seen as stalkerish. But what I like was how some rules are not as crazy as they seem. Rule 14 has to be my favorite because it proves that love is not easy especially in the real world. “the easy attainment of love makes it of little value [while] difficulty of attainment makes it prized,” (Capellanus) If love was so easy to obtain then would be considered true love? Back then no and the same will be in the real world. Love takes work and at the end of the day if you work hard for it it's worth it not all this cliché bullshit. Overall I can't wait to continue in our readings I'm excited to see what other creative ideas thes people have about love.

    -Ari

    ReplyDelete