Monday, January 26, 2015

Of Love and the Law


“The Art of Courtly Love” reading was filled with so many contradictions that I found myself simultaneously outraged and amused. I did not even reach the actual laws of love before I found myself going, “WHAT?!?!” In the beginning of the reading the author wrote about who was eligible for courtly love. Amongst those who were not allowed were the blind, and the homosexuals. I thought it was absolutely ridiculous that the basis of courtly love is based solely on physical beauty. “Blindness is a bar to love, because a blind man cannot see anything upon which his mind can reflect immoderately, and so love cannot arise in him…” (33)


In addition to the blindness aspect of love, I hated reading about the denial of love for two same sex people. I understand that this piece was written in the twelfth century but even so, the issue of equal rights for same sex couples in today’s society is quite prevalent. And what is even more interesting is that (I am a history major) in medieval times homosexuality was common, especially in the royal classes.


To acknowledge that actual laws of love, one of the rules that I found absolutely ridiculous was the 33rd rule which states, “A true lover is constantly and without intermission possessed by the thought of this beloved.” (186) That just sounds absolutely obsessive and while it did not surprise me, it made me cringe while I read it. Who wants to be with a partner who has no others thoughts or passions besides the one he loves? Sounds horrible to me.


In connection to today’s society, I found an immediate thread between one of the laws and one of the popular movies and books from today’s culture. The fourteenth law states, “The easy attainment of love makes it of little value; difficulty of attainment makes it prized.” (185) This is a very prosaic way of saying, love is increased by playing hard to get. This ideal is shown in the most hilarious way in the book and film, Pride and Prejudice. When Elizabeth turns down her awkward suitor Mr. Collins, the man is convinced that Elizabeth is just saying no to “increase my love by suspense” as Mr. Collins would say. Elizabeth reassures him that she is not at all the kind of woman that would do that but Mr. Collins still thinks that all females exercise this cat and mouse dance with their suitors to increase the feelings of love. It is this idea that “no” does not actually mean “no”.


Works Cited:

Austen, Jane. Pride and Prejudice, Directed by Joe Wright, 2005. Movie.


Capellanus, Andrew. "The Art of Courtly Love." New York: Columbia University Press. 1960. Print. 

2 comments:

  1. I think I had the same reaction as you while reading "The Art of Courtly Love." Although I was not as surprised about the denial of love between same sex people. I assumed that this would be the point of view considering the time period it was written. It's interesting that you say homosexuality was common in medieval times because I would have thought it wouldn't be. I do think it's crazy how courtly love was pretty much all based on physical beauty. Luckily it states that the blind just cannot acquire love; however, they are perfectly capable of loving if they had fallen in love before they became blind...I'm sure that the blind would be pleased to know that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reading also got me thinking about what you mentioned in your first paragraph. I too entirely disagree with what was indicated by the article on one basing love off of their physical attraction towards another. I (and I hope all others do as well) tend to base another's value as a prospective 'mate' (strong, but accurate wording... I guess) on what's on the inside with looks coming second. I, personally, want somebody that voices their own opinions (even if the opinion is I don't know or I don't care) and challenges my intellect, not some bimbo yes-person.

    ReplyDelete