Monday, February 9, 2015

It's Times Like This I Need To Watch Mulan And Remind Myself What A Badass Woman Looks Like


I would just like to start off this blog post by expressing how frustrated I am with these readings. I genuinely felt, after finishing all three readings, that at least one character in each story had irritated me (which I also think is a good thing…I mean imagine if we were reading something boring). AND then I got to reading about Erec and Enide in The Complete Romances of Chretien de Troyes. When I first started reading I absolutely loved it because here was a guy who fell in a love with a girl, not only because was is beautiful but also because she is intelligent, and to top all of that off, she is not wealthy either. However, once I continued reading I got more and more frustrated with how Erec treats Enide. He is endlessly controlling of her when he feels like his manhood is threatened and it irritates me to no end. Nearly halfway through the reading on page 36 Erec says to Enide, “’What! What have you said?’ Erec exclaimed. ‘You have too little respect for me now. I gave you a command, forbidding you to speak. How very bold of you to disobey! This time you shall be pardoned, but should this happen again, you will not be forgiven.’” What is the point of being that controlling? Erec is supposed to be the most perfect, most humble knight in all the land, or at least he was given enough praises saying so. If they are true why is he being so rude to his lover? The power trip he holds over her is ridiculous. (Even though she defies him time and time again by speaking out which I love).

In addition what about La Fresne?! We did not get to talk about La Fresne that much in class but this was actually the story that frustrated me the most because the maiden in the story is so good natured. Throughout the whole Lais I was rooting for her because she was abandoned by her awful mother, and then when she finally got the attention of the heroic man, he abandoned her because the other knights did not think she was of noble birth. If the “hero” of the story had really loved her like he said he did, there is no way he would have tried to be married to the (unknown) sister of the first maiden. Then, by the end of the story, when it is found out that the original girl is in fact of a noble birth, he calls off the engagement and marries her instead. The feminist in me leapt up at this point and said, “WHAT?! First he abandons you and you take it because you are just that nice, AND then when he figures out that you are in fact good enough for him…he takes you back and there are no complaints at all?!” Yeah I was very incensed about this.
 

Transitioning off of that frustration, I would like to smoothly (or not so smoothly) head into my potential topic for this upcoming essay and the frustration I am going to use to build it. You know how Dr. MB had us pick from one the topics from the board last class? Well I picked gender and power and I was thinking of using some of stories (I have not decided which ones) from The Lais of Marie de France, as well as some of the laws from courtly love and the story of Eric and Enide to demonstrate that the lack of power that women had in this time frame.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I definitely liked the fact that there was more to this girl than beauty. It was nice knowing Erec really appreciated her, especially for being so wise. Now the next step is for a man to fall in love with a wise, poor, average looking girl. But that's probably too much to ask for. I do not understand why Erec began acting the way he did. It was annoying, but I guess something had to go wrong. It would be boring if he was that perfect I guess.
    I also agree with how ridiculous it was that the man in Le Fresne just left her and then came back to her like it was no big deal. Actually, that's not okay and these women need to start standing up for themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going with a combination of the post above and Jaime's comment, would a story with a knightly women (for example [and no I do not know about her, other than that she had respected authority to a degree] Joanne of Arc) either pursuing a man and/or abusing her lover work to the same degree? Especially for a story set in the time period that these we have read are? We are always empt to look at the guys in our current readings and say "WTF man!" but I feel we would not necessarily feel the same way if the gender roles are reversed. At least in my mind, I would think: 'Wow, that dude is a serious masochist!'

    ReplyDelete