Monday, February 23, 2015

Love Thy Lover With All Thy Heart and Soul and . . . Wait, What?



            One of the most interesting things about “The Knight of the Cart” is the way it approaches piety and faith. As per the norm, characters interact with each other in a deeply Christian age, but Chrétien de Troyes creates a land where faith means different things to different people. The knights in particular approach faith in a different way.
            Lancelot has a shaky manifestation of his faith in God. He starts off fairly merciful and noble, sparing the life of the knight at the ford: “‘I have always shown mercy to anyone . . . if he seeks mercy in the name of God. I do this in God’s name, as is right’” (Chrétien 181). Mercy is one of the core Christian virtues, so Lancelot seems pretty solid in his faith. Things soon change when he beheads the knight who interrupts his meal. That knight also asks for mercy in God’s name, but Lancelot instead sides with “Generosity” and gives the head to a passing maiden who asks for it.



The “dueling virtues” of Generosity and Pity seem pretty strong as Chrétien portrays them, but that is an argument people (myself included) have been using for ages to justify doing something wrong. While Lancelot doesn’t abandon his Christian nature, he certainly diminishes it after losing his mercy.
            Rather than focusing on God, Lancelot spends most of the story fixated on the queen, who, it becomes evident, is an empowering force. One of the biggest examples is when Lancelot breaks open a barred window: “‘I believe these bars to be useless. Only you may prevent me from reaching you. If you grant me permission, [my lady,] my way is clear’” (Chrétien 226). The instance’s significance comes from its resemblance to water-walking miracle from the Bible. Jesus walks across the Sea of Galilee to meet the disciples. Peter responds much like Lancelot does: “And Peter answered Him and said, ‘Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water’” (Matt. 14.28). Clearly, faith is a force that empowers humans to greatness, but in “The Knight of the Cart,” Love is also a force that empowers greatness. It seems like Lancelot puts his love for the queen before his love for God, which is a no-no in traditional Christianity.
            So, I’ve been wondering, can a lover in courtly romance truly be dedicated to his faith? What does it mean to be faithful? Is love greater than faith? I don’t know, but it doesn’t seem like the infatuation of courtly love and faith coexist fairly well; however, Chrétien de Troyes would probably disagree.

***

Additional Works Cited
The New King James Bible. Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers, 1982. Print.
 

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to comment on this because I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to even though it doesn't seem like the other folks from our group got the memo? Idk.

    Anyways, I agree, there's a lot of talk about God and faith throughout these stories, and even a few visits to churches and prayers said before combat, but when it comes down to it Lancelot doesn't seem to stop off once a week to go to church or anything. I'm also pretty sure you're right about him beheading people, God would probably think that's not very cool...or maybe he would, he does some killing in the Bible...in any case, I think he tells other people not to, so Lancelot maybe made the wrong call choosing "generosity" over mercy in that case.

    Similarly, he does seem to worship the queen more than anything else, as you pointed out. He tries to kill himself (another no-no for Christians if I'm correct) because he thinks the queen is dead. So...clearly his priorities are out of whack. You're right, courtly love and faith seem to be hard to juggle, since each asks you to think about something different as your highest priority: God or your mortal beloved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bad people! I'm here, I'm here. I swear I didn't forget.
    I definitely think you're on the right track here though Sam. To me, reading the rules did seem like people would put their love before their faith. When it discusses becoming love sick, everything you do is supposed to remind you of your beloved, the last thing you think about before bed is your beloved, it does seem like Love becomes an idol to be worshipped before God. It wouldn't be very hard to believe Lancelot worships The Queen as an idol before God.
    During the scene where Lancelot beheads that dude, I think he let the maiden persuade him. Which it would seem worked out for him in the end, as her favor was repaid, but it definitely wasn't very "christian-like" on Lancelot's part. For shame Sir Knight, for shame.

    ReplyDelete