Monday, February 16, 2015

Many Knights, Dwarfs and Love??

 
        Okay so first thing, why are Dwarfs so bad? In this story and in Erec and Enide they describe Dwarfs as being these horrible, rude and despicable creatures. I always thought dwarfs as being cute and adorable like the one in Snow White. Like Dopy, he was ADORABLE!!

 I just wanted to grab him and hug him ohh soooo much. Sorry about my little rant about how adorable dopy is... like seriously when I was younger all I wanted to do is pinch his cheeks. Kind of like what those weird grandmas do even though you’re a grown adult. Smh I am getting off track….back to the task at hand. Like I was saying Chretien de Troyes loves to use dwarfs I just think they are cute not as grotesque as he portrays them.
 
        Another thing I did not understand was why is it so HORRIBLE to have a cart? I would think it would be I don’t know…. Helpful!!... I know that if I was on a long   journey I would not mind having a cart. I would be able to hold all of my belongings. Even though when I think of it, having a cart would kind of make it easier for someone to rob me. Maybe having a cart is a bad thing because it shows weakness and shows robbers how easy it is for them to rob the cart owner. I have no idea!
 
 

        Another thing I want to rant about is why Chretien de Troyes never gives appropriate names for his characters. He never differentiated between all the knights in his story. The only knights I can keep track of are "the knight of the cart" a.k.a Sir Lancelot and Sir Gawain. Their journeys are so complicated and confusing. It seriously makes my head spin kind of like a twister.
        The sword bridge annoyed me. They talk about how dangerous and treacherous the bridge was and how no one has ever been able to cross it. It’s like this ominous being. It takes Lancelot forever to get to the bridge but then when he gets there in like 2 seconds he crosses the bridge with ease although he got injured but it felt like a major let down after all this work building up how scary and ominous the bridge is.

3 comments:

  1. Commenting on yours because someone on my team didn't post...

    Anyways! I can totally see where you are coming from. This whole story is a confusion. Theirs like a billion people and things happening all at one time. At one moment, someone is fighting, then they meet someone new and go on a journey with them...like, what, who?? Oh god. Don't even mention the sword bridge! That whole scene was a joke, for real. All of a sudden, he grew some major balls and crossed it with ease. Like, no honey.

    Btw. Dopey is a cutie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you mention an interesting feature of this story. The fact that Lancelot is walking around with just the title of knight is neat in my opinion. I think that it's a larger mark to his character because as a nameless knight he must uphold the knightly code of ethics more. He doesn't have the convenience of an epic name for people to just rely on him so he has to prove himself over, and over, and OVER AGAIN to seemingly random people. In all honestly I was more confused by all the nameless ladies that would appear than the nameless knight bits but I totally get it. Part of me wants him to have a name but the mystery of it deletes any of my previous expectations and allows for a shadow of character growth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like everyone i think these stories are trying to make are class resent dwarfs. but i agree with you with the cart. after reading alot of blogs it seems nobody really understood (including my self), like i said in my other post the only thing I could really come up with is they dont have a high aouthority and them making a big descion like that when they are not supoosed to was dishonarable. i think you made good points about the bridge to, it should have atleast challanged him when he crossed, because it being describd as like the hardest bridge to ever be crossed and he did it pretty much in his and didnt die.

    ReplyDelete