Monday, February 16, 2015

The beginning of the Knight of the Cart reminded me of the beginning of Erec and Enide because of how it set the story up, but sort of switched its focus after only the first couple pages. 

I was expecting to read about the King and Gawain trying to follow Kay and the queen. But instead we read about some other knight searching for the queen. 

This bothered me.  Mainly because we were never even given his name… I wasn’t sure who he was or why he mattered or even why he cared so much to find the queen.  It was confusing.  It also made the dialogue hard to follow since it would just say the knight said this…. And then the other knight said this… then the first knight said this... like what?

 
 
 
  
 
 
 
 
I’m not sure what the point was of not revealing the characters names, especially the main character, but I’m hoping to find out during the rest of the story. 

The title of the story did come into play a lot because it was how they distinguished the main knight from the others.  He was not just a knight; he was the knight that rode in the cart.  It was crazy how quickly that rumor spread.  Pretty much every person they ran into knew he was the knight that rode in the cart.  It must have been very very important for him to find the queen knowing that the ride in the cart was going to basically ruin his reputation. 

Not to mention he was willing to risk his life by going across the sword bridge.

Everything he did though was for “Love.”  So he must have a great love for the queen then. 
 
I also didn’t get why the knight and Gawain didn’t choose to go the same way.  When they found out that there were two different paths to get there, they immediately decided to each take a different path. Why? I think sticking together would be the better, less scary option.

 
 
 
 
The sword bridge bothered me too though.  I feel like they made such a big deal about it by saying how dangerous it was and how no one has ever crossed it and whatnot.  Then it took him forever (way too long in my opinion) to actually get to the bridge, and once he did, he got across it very quickly and easily.  He may have had some injuries, but I felt like they built up the whole thing for basically nothing. 
But once he got there, I liked how King Bademagu and Meleagant were so different and how the king defended and helped out the knight.  However, since I really don’t know who the knight is, it makes me care less about what happens to him.  Which hurts the story.  Although, I’m sure he’s going to rescue the queen since he’s like super human.  But we shall see.
 

2 comments:

  1. Admittedly, I read ahead so I know who the knight is and trust me when you understand who he is the rest of the story starts to makes sense. However, I agree with you that the beginnings of the story were hard to follow because there were multiple unnamed knights and it was just difficult to follow in general. However, I think the point of withholding the name of the knight is simply to create anticipation. As you said, the knight is like a super human, and so I was automatically like, he cannot just be any old knight can he? He must be a big deal in one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It didn't even occur to me to wonder who the knight was (I also read ahead and found out) but I figured he'd be superhuman because all of the protagonists in these stories are. I definitely agree that there's no worrying about them; every obstacle is built up as the most dangerous, be it the sword bridge, the land where nobody ever returns and is totally enslaved, etc. And each time you know the talk about the danger will be far greater than the danger itself ever is.

    I also found it crazy how fast the news of his riding in the cart traveled, especially since he never told his name to anyone. Were they saying "the knight with the blond hair and the big nose rode in a cart"? Otherwise, how did people know on sight that he was shameful?

    I found the king and his son's difference in temperament confusing; if the king is such a nice guy, how is it that people who enter the land can never leave it? Surely the king can just tell his son to shut up and be restrained (as he does more than once) and let the people go? The king seemed like a really nice guy and was quite kind to the captive queen. I don't exactly understand how they were prisoners if the king was calling the shots and he liked them.

    ReplyDelete