Monday, March 30, 2015

Let's Talk About Death Baby

I know that we're supposed to be taking a look at the gods and how they're prayed to but I figure that we're going to be talking about that enough in class that I'll talk about something less relevant. I do have some related questions but that'll come after the awesome death of Arcite. Personally, I don't care for either Palamoun or Arcite but that death scene was cringe worthy.


Firstly, boy gets a page and a half of a death scene. I mean... I guess that's not very impressive in the context of this story...but they are some descriptive pages. His chest is broken to pieces, he's got blood poisoning, swelling. Just overall blech. I appreciate that this bit was left in and wasn't transformed into some glorious, honorable thing. I mean, he gets that through his own speech but his wounds aren't romanticized (and they shouldn't. THERE IS NOTHING SEXY ABOUT PUSS). 




Secondly, I don't actually have a second point. I'm on the fence with Arcite's dying words. Like...truth be told, if I were to write a fanfiction of this story Palamon and Arcite would be gettin it with each other. Even though his last words are a plea to Emelye, the most emotion is around Palamoun. Arcite lists off all these great things about Palamon (granting Emelye's prayer of their reconciliation) and they're meant to be mortal enemies in love. If that's not a rom-com plot then I don't know what is. Which is why him saying "Mercy, Emelye!" seemed like a cop out of love. In my opinion those are a lot less influential than what Arcite feels toward Palamoun but because Emelye is the pretty girl we need to tie in that romance plot (even though it's the weaker one in my opinion).

Thirdly, Arcite's death made me like Theseus a little bit more. I just appreciate that he brought some reality to the situation with the "everybody dies" speech. I know that at most deaths that's not the typical PC thing to say but I found the reminder helpful. I think that once you can normalize the death you've got control over your response. Yes, Arcite died of terrible battle wounds but people will always die...and...ya'know...your chances kinda increase when you challenge someone to a battle to the death. Just saying. 


Okay, so I don't really have a way to wrap this up so I'm just going to ask some unrelated questions. I'm curious to know what the feelings were about these mixed religions. You've got people praising God and the Greek Deities, so what's up with that? Why are some weapons seen as more honorable than others? That has never made since to me and it just makes me think of the logic of this scene.




2 comments:

  1. Aha! Bring on the gay fanfiction! I enjoyed Theseus' speech as well. It brought a down to earth feeling to the ending that the other pieces we've read didn't. He spoke the truth, and most readers can appreciate that. I also wanted to ask Dr. MB this, (but didn't want to sound stupid in class) if this story took place in Athens, Greece why did Chaucer use the Roman names for the gods? Is there some historical information thingy I'm unaware of? I know the Greek and Roman gods are interchangeable, so did it not matter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad we all seem to be on the same page that both men are shitty for even wanting to marry a chick that's not interested. I also was a fan of the death speech, because after all that shit about Lancelot trying to hang himself on his own horse a while back, I'm pretty tired of people mourning so hard. I've read enough about what character A would do if character B were not in their world.

    And I get that they're trying to be honorable as always by only using appropriate weapons, but when did people start saying all's fair in love and war? I mean I know this isn't war but come on. If everyone has the same weapons to pick from, nobody's cheating. If I've got a polearm, get your own. We'll fight from 10 feet away. If I've got a shank and you do too, may the sneakiest tip-toe-er win. It's not like anyone there was dual-wielding needlers.

    ReplyDelete