Monday, March 30, 2015

That Thoroughly Raging Moment When the Author Totally YEETS Your Joy Near the End Of the Tale, and Your Smile Completely Vanishes Forever


That Thoroughly Raging Moment When the Author Totally YEETS Your Joy Near the End Of the Tale, and Your Smile Completely Vanishes Forever

                Yes, I know that Chaucer was not exactly trying to appeal to our ideals of a happy ending for the guy we were rooting for, when Pluto decides to throw Arcite into the black hole of horror with an earthquake, to SHOCKINGLY, please the will of a woman (goddess in this case).
Giving me personally, a reaction much like this one…
Carlton_medium


                Also, I just want to point out how funny it is to me that these two cousins were thrown into prison together, they had to look like this when they were being locked up…
Lockedup_medium


                Forgive me with my Fresh Prince use, but how can I not?? Cousins?!?! Genius if you ask me. Plus this is when Arcite (Will) first laid eyes on lady Emelye... Look at that concentration.  

                The most interesting part of this tale to me, was that Emelye did not want to marry because she wanted to remain a virgin, or at least that is how I took it with her quote “a mayden al my lyf”, in the temple of Diana. It was interesting to me that in a time where women had so much authority of their King’s decisions (life or death), that Emelye still has to be wedded against her will, to one of either of these men, to whom neither has she spoken at all. Inconsistency runs throughout these tales and courtly love and all of that. Because is it not ALL of women’s desires to have control over their own lives, as stated in The Wife of Bath’s Tale?? ALL WOMEN?!?!?! Just sayin’.


if something is consistently inconsistent is it still inconsistent? - if something is consistently inconsistent is it still inconsistent?  Philosoraptor
                It was actually a really depressing end for me, as I stated in my delightful title, but the King’s speech about death was actually quite appropriate to the text, given the situation the King finally took a role of comfort, not only for Emelye, but for all of his kingdom as well that was shaken by the death of Arcite. I enjoyed reading this tale, again, not in this middle English crap. But I guess I will have to get over it. But I am curious, when did the Greek God's decide to play such a role in this tale and none of the other? Very curious.

Thank you.  


 

2 comments:

  1. Well, if you’re going to locked up, you might as well be with your cousin. It’s just a shame that they had to immediately find something to fight over. I don’t think I really enjoyed the ending either. We discussed in class how the King was trying so hard to control everything and not let anyone get killed, and then the winner ends up dying, which I thought was sad and unnecessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can now understand your funny obsession with The Fresh Prince of Bel Air. Yes they may be cousins, but in real life, we know that cousins all argue and fight over a majority of stupid things. I think this tops them all though. A girl that none of them have ever met before in there lives, and they want to fight to the death for her. I think that is kinda pathetic in my opinion, but hey, I'm not there to judge

    ReplyDelete