Monday, April 13, 2015

Emaré and The Man of Law's Tale

The story of Emaré and her perilous journeys across the sea caught me incredibly off guard this week and in the best possible way! Even though I never saw it coming, this piece turned out to be my absolute favorite read of the semester thus far and I couldn’t be more thrilled about it!

The main reason for my excitement is due to the fact that my previously unresolved feelings towards the “Castaway Queen romances” (Osborn 128), such as Chaucer’s The Man of Law’s Tale, have become clarified and somewhat elevated with my reading of this version of the story. Before Emaré, I had only encountered this type of tale once, in The Man of Law’s Tale, and even though I generally enjoyed reading the story of Custance, I found myself puzzled when arriving at its conclusion. The highly unrealistic elements of the plot (such as Custance surviving alone in a ship that safely makes it all the way from Northumbria to Rome, for instance) threw my head for a loop and I had a great deal of difficulty in resolving my feelings about them. Was I supposed to believe that something like this actually happened? No, as it is clearly impossible. But then how much of my disbelief should I suspend in order to fully appreciate the story? How much of this tale – if any – did Chaucer’s original audience relate back to real life situations?

The Man of Law's Tale by Anne Anderson

Questions like this prevented me from fully connecting with the story and they continued to rattle around in my head for a long time after I tucked The Man of Law’s Tale away. However very much to my surprise, while reading Emaré this week absolutely none of them resurfaced! Considering the stark similarities between the two tales, I was shocked to see the vast difference in experience that I had while reading. Instead of focusing on the individual events and elements of the plot within Emaré, I realized that, since I already had a general idea of how the story would play out, it was much easier to consider the work as a whole. As such I didn’t stop to ask myself what was going on or if I should believe every little detail. Instead I just went with it, sat back and enjoyed the elements of the tale that I hadn’t found in Chaucer’s version of the story, such as the bejeweled dress.


Having Chaucer’s work sitting in the back of my mind while reading Emaré was a huge advantage and by understanding the type of story that I was confronting (as opposed to when I first read The Man of Law’s Tale and had never experienced that type of story before) I was able to drastically increase my enjoyment of the work.  



Source:
Osborn, Marijane. Nine Medieval Romances of Magic. Peterborough, Ont.: Broadview, 2010. Print.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you got so personal in describing your journey in reading this story. I'd never read this before, and like you, didn't really have a good grasp on it upon first reading. Nevertheless, I did enjoy it. I knew there was SOMETHING to be said for it...I just didn't know what it was. I think her sense of clarity and forgiveness was beautiful. I didn't share the sentiment with others in the class about how her father was essentially forgiven. Emare embodies a characteristic we should all have: and that's forgiveness. So I think this is one of the only stories this semester we can say is truly universal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you. This was one of my favorites stories we read in this semester thus far. I really like how you had a personal connection with Emare and The Man of Law's Tale. Though, I never read that story, or even read a story similar, if that, I liked how we can see different perspectives of a story by reading it differently. As you said, you focused on the story as a whole, instead of picking out which to focus on. It is important to see what the clear message is rather than focusing on one point.

    ReplyDelete