Monday, April 13, 2015

Okay, can we agree that the parents be fuckin’ up here? Crazy.


Okay, can we agree that the parents be fuckin’ up here? Crazy.

            Okay, when I was reading this, to say the least, INTERESTING story Emare I thought I was reading a child’s mentality, within a grown man’s body trying to pretend to be an adult and serve out the most ridiculous punishment known to man. And all was because he daughter, I repeat, his DAUGHTER refused to marry him?!?!? It is one thing to send your disobedient child to their rooms, or even taking away their cell phones or something, but no; “No food or water! No money, and here’s a boat. Sail away from me at once!!!!” Great parenting there buddy. Don’t ground her or anything.


 

            And now we have this mother-in-law to Emare that has me really irritated. Basically acting completely corner-working maiden-like, enticing the messenger with her clad self, and then changing the letter after their activities telling her own son that his wife gave birth to a monster, really unnecessary. Unfortunately for me and the way my brain works, all I could picture was Rapunzel’s fake mother, and her song “Mother Knows Best” kept running through my head. Welp, can never watch that movie again. No sir-e-Bob.


            Personally, I have never read a tale such as this really, especially with an incest motive by one character, weird. But one thing that I can sit back and appreciate in this tale is the newness in itself. I did not really see too many connections to what we have been reading to our ideals of medieval romance, with the exception of seeing a beautiful maiden and an almost immediate proposal, and the devastation that came to the rejection. But again, the incest motive was quite new. This was the first tale I found myself almost equally frustrated with having to read Middle English, simply because I could not understand the actions taken by these people. But hey, still kept me interested right? Right. Good.

1 comment:

  1. The father did over react to the rejection a little bit, but I guess it makes sense that he wouldn't take it well. He is an old, important man used to getting what he wants. You gotta give props to Emare for standing up for herself because women rarely stand up to men in these stories. I also love your comparison between the mother in law and Rapunzel's mother. She definitely does not know best though.

    ReplyDelete