Monday, January 26, 2015

The Art of Clingy Love

Well, I mean I guess you can't hold the homophobia against the guy since it's such an old essay, but it's a little off-putting to see that whole passage about how love cannot exist between people of the same sex right at the start of the list. The first couple of pages had me agreeable, thinking "wow some things never change, we've all been there, who doesn't know what it's like to be stressed out about a crush, what a unifying theme we've found in humanity," and then that ends and he's like "but seriously, if you're gay just get out now."

After the absurd trials overcome by the Briton in quest of the scroll of elegantly-written bullshit, we receive the terrifying list of things we all must adhere to if our love is to be deemed true. If these rules were to be taken seriously, I would have to report that I have never been in love, and I sincerely hope nobody else ever has either.


Scooby Doo took a dip in ratings after this episode.


A good chunk of the rules have to do with thinking of your beloved all the time. True love has to be the reason behind every thought and action. Rule XXX mentions that you must be "constantly and without intermissionthinking about your lover. If you even look at anybody else, you're not truly in love. If you read someone else's blogs, you aren't truly in love. If you're reading this right now and you're dating someone else, you're cheating on them with me, right now. Please stop, you're terrible.

Apparently you're also supposed to have your heart skip a beat every time you see your lover, and turn pale. If you've become comfortable around your significant other, you've fallen out of love, and it's never coming back. So if you spend too much time around your beloved, you'll develop heart palpitations, dizziness, fatigue, loss of appetite, etc. People should not be in love if they are pregnant or may become pregnant. Consult your doctor before falling in love.


A very healthy love, judging by their skin color.


There's definitely a point to some of the rules, but they seem to be mostly common sense. One rule dictates that love is worth more if it's harder to earn, which is true of pretty much everything, all the time. Rarity = value. Something that everybody can get isn't worth anything because they don't need your help getting it. So, basically, don't be a slut.


You can read this whole guide and try to value your relationship, or you can follow my personal guide to love that I've created just now and specifically for use in this blog:



AJ's Guide to Love: How In Love Are You?


Do you need to read a list of rules to determine if your love is true?

                                Yes?                                                                                 No?
                                  
                             It's not.                                                                        Good start.



2 comments:

  1. Your guide to love was very helpful and inspiring, thank you. I agree with the insanity of these rules for true love. I have a hard time believing that anyone actually took these rules seriously and followed each specific one so that they would not be punished. I know this was a different time period, but still. When I was reading them, I was thinking of them more as general references. What I got out of them is that if you are in love with someone you think about them, are excited to be around them, care about them enough to have gotten jealous at some point, and can imagine a future with them. I don't think the intentions were to be creepy and obsessive, although maybe they were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disagree with you at least on the part where you claimed that "love is worth more if it is harder to earn" and claimed hinted to that of this is not one's case they may fall under the category of being sluttish. For me, personally, it is the hardest to find someone that I am interested in (due to sensing a great affinity for each other) and getting to a point where we are a couple. I can get dates, but as far as getting to a point of getting a relationship, I find only friendships with those whom I pursue. I do not consider this a difficulty in finding love, but of my simply being unlucky. However, based on decisions from those whom I know whose relationships have lasted, they had an occurance that many call 'love at first sight' where soon after they first met, they felt that they were meant for each other. While I have not had this specically happen (in the few cases I had these feelings, I was friend-zoned before a relationship ensued), I have definitely felt the other end of the spectrum in finding a disconnect in compatibility with many individuals after just one date. However, I believe that if one finds compatibllity with someone and their feelings are mutually felt by the other person and both people are honest with their feelings for one another and entirely work towards making the relationship work, a relationship (in my opinion) should not need to be hard earned, but rather come naturally.

    ReplyDelete