Monday, February 23, 2015

A Guide To Making Adultery Acceptable-- Warning: High Failure Rate If Not Set in a MedRom

What’s the deal with the adultery in this story? Unless I am misunderstanding or missed a part, his love, honor, and loyalty to Guinevere seems to pardon that whole part of the story. Well, they are caught because he bleeds on her bed; however, I feel like Chretien wants us to forgive him because his devotion is so romantic. After some sexy time…..


Chretien reveals a tortured Lancelot:

“But the day’s approach pained him deeply since he had to rise from his beloved’s side. Rising made him feel like a martyr, for he suffered the agony of martyrdom in the torture of departure…”

Hey, Chretien, you didn’t throw me off track! I still realize there’s adultery going on here! But, I guess in the art of courtly love, marriage is squashed by real love.

No, but really, I do understand that Lancelot as a character is revealed through this affair. Without his love for Guinevere, he would probably be just another knight and boring to follow. It is through her that we see how chivalrous he is. His initial push to go on this crazy journey was to rescue her. I guess it is sweet that he does everything for her… like do his worst… In response to her request to fight horribly in a tournament, Lancelot says, “Since this is her command, I am grateful to her” (241).
Really…?? Let’s not forget that he shamed himself riding in a cart and has a bajillion wounds from this quest to rescue her. I promise that I am not a person jaded by romance.
From our last class discussion, many of us wondered why the knights were not named… specifically, why Lancelot was referred to as “the knight”. In my opinion, this story is about how a woman can complete a man. His and her love is so strong that they are always associated with one another; therefore, his identity is not important without her. Since she is missing in the first half of the story, he is just a knight on a journey.


I really want to know how others feel about Guinevere. I mean, she seems like she wears the pants in their relationship. At the same time, I think she is stuck in a loveless marriage. I feel bad for her at times, but she sure does act like a spoiled little girl. I mean, come on… okay, he didn’t go into the cart right away? He hesitated? The man ended up riding in the cart, give him a break!

5 comments:

  1. First of all, I love your Barry White reference. Spot on. Anyways, I feel like you and I feel the same about Guinivere because intially I was like I cannot stand this woman. She's abusing her power over him...and yet at the same time I wonder what her and Arthur's relationship is like. Clearly she loves Lancelot considering how miserable she is when she thinks he is dead...but all the same why can't we ever read about a female character that has a lot of power...and doesn't abuse it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your idea is kind of genius. No matter how sick and twisted it is, she totally does complete him. I don't really mind Guinevere, actually. Yeah, she does really stupid and childish shit, but (and I know this is radical) shes a woman. I mean, it's like the equivalent of the heroine in a typical horror movie. The whole time you're screaming "don't go in that room!" or "don't open that door!" (of course she does anyway) and stupidity inevitably ensues. You're like, what the hell? But you don't really hate her. I can't find myself to dislike Guinevere as much as I think I should. I mean, forget Arthur forget arthur for a second. She's a woman who is living through a time when women don't have that much power. She was probably married off to a man who is a lot like Robert Baratheon. So she's another Cersei (without the whole incest thing...or not?). Enough with the Game of Thrones references (Sorry). My point is, can you blame her for wanting to grab onto a little power however she can? I would certainly want to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Dr. MB said in class, Martin knows his Medieval Romance. I totally see Cersei in Guinevere. But yes, enough of that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First thing's first, I was just reading Becca's comment....I love Game of Thrones! Funny thing, I was thinking the same. All this marriage but no love kinda gets to me. Like, why? What would be the point?

    Anyways, as I was reading your blog, some things came to my mind that I never thought about. Did you ever wonder how Guinevere fell in love with Lancelot? Was it the fact that she saw him fighting for his life to save her? Or was it before that? I don't know. I mean, I can understand where everyone is coming from, about the whole "Guinevere is not the one to hate." Technically, she does complete the man. And by the way, like I said in class...I love that chain picture! It's so straight to the point.

    ReplyDelete