Monday, February 23, 2015

Meleagent the Evil-Doer!

I have to love this guy because he is the essence of our modern villain. Shows up to a party, steals a queen, then tries killing the hero in the end? Perfect character trope in the making! You can almost imagine Meleagent’s armor is black and red whereas Lancelot’s is blue and silver. The best Darth Vader ever did was kidnap his own princess daughter and try killing his son (and no, Tarkin was the one to destroy Alderaan so Vader can’t even put that on his resumé). Nevertheless, child abuse is evil, too, but far less classy than party crashing.

Plus, I like pretending his name is secretly an old French pun for "evil-doer." See, the stem "mal," means evil, and "agent" is someone who does something.

Like many hated villains, he has an older, wiser advisor. And like the most evil of those villains, that advisor is his dad. Even he wants Meleagent to chill before he gets his ass handed to his angsty self by our knight in shining armor. Our evil-doer is starting to seem less like Vader and more like whiny Anakin.

George Lucas is the real villain.

So like civilized nobles the hero and villain decide to resolve their conflict by murdering each other! Standard procedure, villain loses his arm gets punched in face. Yet it’s not very gratifying. And that bugged me! He’s evil but we don’t get the full impact of hating him like Lancelot hates him. It's because we don't get a good reason to hate him because we only see him as an actual actor nearing the end. That’s way too late to start a compelling relationship between character and audience.


Still, Meleagent lives up to his villain status in the end by basically yelling, “I’ll get you for this!” Too bad he can't keep his head to deliver said revenge. He would’ve won if he were better armed.

Me laughing at my own dumb puns.

3 comments:

  1. I really like your Star Wars comparison! I think that the whole MEDIEVAL ROMANCE TROPE COURTLY LOVE thing has been so ingrained in Western culture that it exists everywhere, only it's become so commonplace that it's invisible. I also like your Star Wars example as one where there's evidence of medieval romance tropes in a genre that they would not necessarily be associated with. Star Wars is a form of fantasy, yes, but it's also science fiction, and there's a cool balance there between medieval romance's stereotypical drama and Star Wars' scientific baseline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your explanation of Meleagent's name! Though the changing of 'Mele' to 'Mal' is a bit of a stretch. But nonetheless, I liked your take on his name and found it quite appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The name thing was funny, I may or may not have laughed out loud. I agree with your imagery of their armor. I do see dark scary armor for him and cheery, sappy armor for Lancelot. But I never like the evil character, I'm all about the hero.

    ReplyDelete