Monday, March 2, 2015

Medieval Philadelphia

            If I read this story right, I believe it serves as a companion story to “The Knight of the Cart”. Both stories talk about love in two entirely different ways.  While Lancelot and Guinevere show the major follies of acts of love, I think Yvain presents the very noble aspect of the virtue.  Of course, this must include a lady in which Yvain falls deeply in love with…duh…but I’m way more interested in the almost brotherly love portrayed in this story. 
     First, with the lion.  The lion is so devoted to his master, he almost kills himself out of grief when he thinks his master is dead.  “Never have I heard told or described such grief, “the narrator says (298).  It also says he “threw himself about, clawing himself and screaming” (298). This is not unlike the lady at the beginning of the story whose lord was killed by Yvain.  So the story also shows the importance of grief.  It humbles you, makes you human.  And I think that’s why I grew to like that lion so much.  And the people did too, after they saw his devotion to his master.  I gotta admit, though, I was scared he wouldn’t make it. And honestly, I would’ve been pissed.  But I think the best portrayal of this is when Yvain tells King Arthur’s people not to be afraid of him:  “Do not fear or harm the lion you see approaching, “ he says, “Please believe me. He is mine and I am his” (334).  It’s only an animal and the story makes me love him just as much.





Next, the whole fight with Sir Gawain pulled at my heart strings.  Of course the readers know who each of the knights is, but they certainly don’t (I won’t even address how stupid that notion is). So the whole time, they’re fighting each other and I’m just like NOOOOOO he’s your companion too! Anyway, one of the most palpable parts of this story is when Chrétien personifies Love and Hate.  Just like in “The Knight of the Cart,” Love is a character.  But here, I don’t think it’s used as an excuse for an act, but rather I think we’re meant to  see love in an optimistic light—one that stops hate.  “Now Hate is ready for the forward attack, spurring and pricking against Love whenever he can, and Love does not even stir” (329). I find that absolutely beautiful.  When they recognize each other and cease fighting, King Arthur says, 
there is great love between you and prove this when each declares his own defeat” (333).
I think that Yvain represents everything Lancelot doesn’t.  He’s noble, not a hypocrite, and does everything—successfully—to nobly gain his woman back.  These two stories coupled together teach us parallel lessons about love and nobility, just in different ways.

            And all of this started because Kay had to be a dick. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree! I thought Lancelot was a pain in the ass. I did some research, and a lot of people seem to think these were written as companion pieces. Therefore, I can see why Yvain was created to be opposite of Lancelot. The brotherly aspect was very different, and it is how I picture King Arthur's knights to be (according to video games that I have played =p). I feel like the brotherly love actually played more of a significant role in the story... rather than the "love story". I know he goes insane because he loses his love, but he redeems himself with brotherly love.

    ReplyDelete