Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Who knew Mean Girls, Britney and the Wife of Bath could relate somehow?



We have started reading the “Wife of Bath’s Prologue and Tale” by Geoffrey Chaucer and I have to say that it is a doozey. I have actually read this story twice before, once with Dr. MB and another time in high school. Luckily, because of this, the Middle English did not scare me as much as it did the first time. But a word to the wise- the notes and translations on the side of the page help immensely! But anyways, back to the Wife of Bath. What is everyone’s opinion of her? I confess that my opinion of her has changed after having read the story several times now. My first impression was to thrust the story aside because the ease with which the Wife flouted her escapades and manipulations over the men in her life made me sick. However, I have begun to wonder if she was not just a product of her time period? Like we have been saying in class, women had little to no power in medieval times. Maybe the Wife of Bath’s prologue and her life’s accomplishments are just an over exaggeration of what she really wants in life- power. The Wife has had five husbands- not too farfetched a fate in this day and age to be honest. She said that she has had three good husbands and two bad. (197) What I found most saddening about this prologue was the story about the one husband that she married for love. His name was Janekyn and he was her fifth husband (303). How cruel it must be, (though she was twice his age) to love someone and marry them for love and then to find that love to be imperfect.
Britney Spears Crying animated GIF
 
But I digress, there is so much to say about the Wife’s actual tale, and I still cannot tell you whether I like it or not. I suppose I am relieved that the knight in question actually learned that what women want most is a choice, a chance for equality. However, do I believe he deserved redemption for his crimes in the beginning of the story?
 
Confusion Dyed Hair animated GIF
 
Absolutely not. I really just do not believe that he, at the end of the story, deserved to have a wife that was both beautiful and good. I mean…he raped a young maiden for the love of Pete! Perhaps some of my group members could share their opinions on this? Does this knight deserve his rewards at the end of the story? OR am I missing the point completely…maybe it is about the woman? Maybe she chooses to be beautiful and good, not for him, but for herself?







3 comments:

  1. I agree that he did not deserve a wife that was both beautiful and good, but he did let her decide, and that shows that he learned his lesson. I think that the knight should've had to go on a harder quest because, I mean come on, if you ask a girl a question and say you'll listen, of course their going to talk to you. However, the quest was completed and a promise is a promise, so he should be spared (I guess).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rehabilitation is in! I don't know if I Agree that he deserved a perfect wife in the end, but I do think he learned a little bit more than just choice... if the rape part wasn't in the story, I'd love the story. I think that if we forgot about the terrible part, we can see that yes, he learns choice, equality, and respect (since he respected her decision.) In that way, I do think in a twisted Medieval way, he learned his lesson about the rape since he had little to no respect for women before that. Then we have to think, yeah, what if the woman wanted to be good and beautiful. Why does she have to be ugly... to teach him a lesson? It is her choice. I think this story is more about the wife than the knight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete