Tuesday, April 14, 2015

I ain't with this because I'm a man crap

You know, I was actually excited about this story because Emarè was a speaking female character for like, two seconds. I was happy for those two seconds. Granted it was in order to tell off her father for being a incestuous pervert but I WAS HAPPY DAMNIT! So once my character turned out to only have like 10 lines of speech I flipped to another problem.

How long has the excuse of masculinity been a thing? Like really, you had no higher brain function to take a second to realize that boning your daughter wasn't the best idea? I wouldn't take that shit for free, EVEN THOUGH ITS THROWN OUT ALL THE TIME. And I really hope we aren't meant to feel sorry for the empower because he felt bad about banishing his daughter after the rejection rage wore off.

This shit still happens. This is why women smile and laugh at creeps because who knows if they're going to kidnap you and ship you off to sea. (Ahahajahahahaha, jk. They'll probably just rape and murder instead.) It's an excuse I just flat out don't get or respect. Like why is is exuseable to use lust to get away with trying to marry your daughter. WHY!?

I guess this story just soured for me after that because the rhymes for her beauty and the king of Wales falling for her were the same as when her father looked at her and it just really bugged me overall. It was just a controlling, claiming, and weird. 0/10 would now read again.

4 comments:

  1. I was rooting for her the entire story!! I totally see where you are coming from and agree 110%. How can a person think about their child in such a manner? And then have the nerve to banish them to sea when they say no?? Kudos to Emare for standing by her beliefs and taking the punishment in stride, that must have been terrifying for her. Get it girl! As for the parallel, I would like to see a story where the man doesn't fall in love with the woman at first sight. That would be a nice change of pace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Sam mentioned this as well but I find it very odd that the Pope sanctioned the Emperor's incestual lust, meaning that not just the dad thought it was a cool plan, but the holiest man in the world agreed with him. I wrote that off as just being something that was more common back in the day, but I never felt a second of pity for the Emperor when he regretted his choice or pitifully tried to make up for it.

    I can't believe you let yourself get excited for this story. A female lead in a medieval romance tale that isn't objectified for her beauty...hahahahahahah right, that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Commenting here because some of my group didn't post:

    I totally agree with AJ. I never felt sorry for the emperor at all, in fact, I felt that he was more sorry for losing Emare than he was for wronging her. I was also weirded out by the (admittedly fictional) fact that the Pope gave a dispensation for this. Bull or no bull, there are certain lines that even he shouldn't cross. To be fair, some marriages considered incestuous today weren't totally uncommon back then, so maybe it's just us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Commenting here because some of my group didn't post:

    I totally agree with AJ. I never felt sorry for the emperor at all, in fact, I felt that he was more sorry for losing Emare than he was for wronging her. I was also weirded out by the (admittedly fictional) fact that the Pope gave a dispensation for this. Bull or no bull, there are certain lines that even he shouldn't cross. To be fair, some marriages considered incestuous today weren't totally uncommon back then, so maybe it's just us.

    ReplyDelete